Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Cheddar Biscuits

The waiting is over! As shown to you in my earlier preview, here is recipe #1 of the two dishes I made for dinner that night! (I chose these because I felt it would kill you most to wait for these, and I hate to make you suffer.) I am very proud of myself. They're real food! I had to cut vegetables and knead dough and everything! And the look Michael got in his eyes after he took the first bite...that was all I needed to know I am the best girlfriend in the history of girlfriends (to him, anyway). And when I bit into one I solidified my own self belief that I am awesome (don't judge me!). This recipe makes 12 biscuits. They were gone by the next night. It took us only 24 hours to eat them all....and that required restraint. Good luck with these gems, try not to make them every weekend...I'm fighting the urge.

--UPDATE: I added a food processor method below. Next time I make these, however, I may use a combination of food processor and the old fashioned way. I would use the processor until after I had the butter cut in, then I would pour it into a bowl and continue the steps from there. I just wasn't a fan of how finely the scallions and cheese were cut in from the processor. They tasted fine, though, and Michael still liked them :) So you can really do it however you'd like.

Cheddar Biscuits

Taken (and slightly adapted) from hotpolkadot

Cheddar Biscuits

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 tbsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
  • 1/2 tsp. granulated sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup butter (salted or unsalted both work fine), cold and cubed
  • 2 cups medium cheddar cheese, grated (an 8 oz. block of cheese is just over 2 cups)
  • 1/2 cup scallions, chopped
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 tbsp.butter, melted
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
Preparation:
  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Position rack in center of oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or prepare a baking stone (I don't know, maybe grease a baking sheet or use non-stick aluminum foil? I used a baking stone and it worked perfectly).
  • In a large bowl whisk/stir flour, baking powder, cream of tartar, sugar, and salt.--OR if using a food processor, put them in the processor and pulse for a few seconds to combine.
  • Cut in cold butter with a pastry blender, or two knives-OR put butter into the food processor and pulse a few times until the mixture is crumbly.
  • Mix in cheese and scallions. (if using a food processor this will incorporate the cheese and scallions more into the dough/chop them more finely)
  • Add 1/2 cup milk at first. Mix thoroughly. Then, slowly add little bit by little bit of the milk-making sure not to let the dough get too wet-just until a soft dough forms (you may not need all the milk-I didn't).-IF USING FOOD PROCESSOR: add the 1/2 cup of milk and pulse a few times. Add milk to processor little by little, pulsing until the mixture holds together.
  • Transfer dough to lightly floured surface and knead 10-12 times (for some reason I only needed to knead it a few times-it was already pretty good?) until smooth, not crumbly.IF USING A FOOD PROCESSOR you may not have to knead it.
  • Divide dough in half, form a thick log with each half, and cut 6 squares from each log.
  • Evenly space the dough squares on baking sheet/stone-leave plenty of space, as biscuits will double in size. Bake 10 minutes (time may vary, check the oven)-take out just before they are done.
  • Mix melted butter and garlic powder together. Brush mixture on top of each biscuit. Bake 1-2 more minutes or until golden brown.
They are going to smell amazing. And taste even better. They are buttery and fluffy, yet chewy, and sooooo very very good!
Cheddar Biscuits

Print Friendly and PDF
I love it when you try & want to share recipes you found here! Please just rewrite in your own words, use your own photos, & always link back to me! Thanks!

About Me

Search

Featured Post

Paleo Chocolate Chunk Blondies

Archives

Grab a Button!



Designed By:

Designed by MunchkinLand Designs --With elements by Hey Hey Designs
Kayle Blogna. Powered by Blogger.
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2013 • All Rights Reserved