Friday, July 20, 2012

S'mores Crème Brûlée

S'mores Crème Brûlée

Tomorrow is National Crème Brûlée Day!

S'mores Crème Brûlée

If you've never had regular creme brulee before I can sum up what it tastes like: vanilla pudding with a yummy, crunchy, caramelized top. Pretty great but nothing super life changing. I've never personally made it, however. What I have made are S'MORES CREME BRULEE! WHAAA?

S'mores Crème Brûlée
Yeah. You heard me. 

S'mores. 
Creme. 
Brulee.

Soooo good!

I'm like super in love with all things s'mores. Like really. It upsets me I don't get them more. They are one of my most favoritest things. So when I found this recipe, I made it very soon after. Now, if you know me--you know I prefer desserts warm, in general. And that goes double if toasted marshmallows are involved. So, in spite of what the instructions told me, I had made up my mind to eat one of these while still warm. It was...pretty good. Very runny in texture, though, and nothing spectacular. So I decided to let them chill before I attempted another taste. MUCH BETTER! That'll teach me to ignore instructions. The chilling process really does wonders for the texture, and the flavor, of the custard base (which, when cold, is chocolatey and rich and velvety and absolute perfection). Then you have that amazing crunch of graham crumbs and the warm, gooey flavor of toasted marshmallows. I loved these. I ate them up so quick! 

I WANTED S'MORE! (teeheehee...I'm hilarious...yup)

S'mores Crème Brûlée


S'mores Crème Brûlée
Makes 6 servings
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 2/3 cup chocolate chips (whatever sort you like)
  • 3 tbsp. granulated sugar
  • 6 egg yolks
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
  • 1 cup mini marshmallows
Preparation:

S'mores Crème Brûlée
  • Spray 6, six ounce, ramekins with non-stick spray and place them in a 9 x 13 dish. Fill the dish with hot water until it comes halfway up the sides of the ramekins. 
  • Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
  • Heat cream, chocolate chips, and sugar in a medium-large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk frequently, until chocolate is melted, then remove from heat.
  • In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks and vanilla extract.
  • Gradually whisk hot cream/chocolate into the eggs/vanilla. 
  • Divide the mixture evenly amongst the ramekins.
  • Bake 50-55 minutes, until the custard barely wobbles.
  • Remove from the oven and take the ramekins out of the water. Allow to cool 5 minutes.
  • Preheat broiler. (unless you have a torch. Then just torch the marshmallows yourself!)
  • Sprinkle tops evenly with graham crumbs and marshmallows.
  • Put under the broil for a few seconds, until toasty. BE CAREFUL--it will burn if you wait a couple seconds too long:
S'mores Crème Brûlée
  • Cool the finished creme brulee for 30 minutes. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 1-2 hours before serving. Can keep in the refrigerator for at least a few days and eat them gradually, as well. (Resist the urge to eat these warm. The texture isn't the same. And trust me, if I'm telling you it's better cold--it's better cold. I speak from experience.)
S'mores Crème Brûlée
Simply beautiful-absolutely lovely!


Print Friendly and PDF
I love it when you try & want to share recipes you found here! Please just rewrite in your own words, use your own photos, & always link back to me! Thanks!

About Me

Search

Featured Post

Paleo Chocolate Chunk Blondies

Archives

Grab a Button!



Designed By:

Designed by MunchkinLand Designs --With elements by Hey Hey Designs
Kayle Blogna. Powered by Blogger.
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2013 • All Rights Reserved