Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Yoder's Peanut Butter Pie

Yoder's Peanut Butter Pie
I'm sad.
I've been so busy, I've barely been able to cook.
Michael and I have had to have food delivered this last week more times than I would care to admit.
I just wanted to share my feelings.

NOW-about the pie. One day, I was watching the travel channel and some sort of food special was on. One of the many delicious things featured was what was lauded as the "Best Peanut Butter Pie" from Yoder's in Sarasota. Part of what apparently made this pie so amazing was the fact that Yoder's (an Amish establishment) makes everything from scratch--and I love that. So I immediately became obsessed with making this pie myself. A quick Google search yielded some promising options, and then I set to work adapting it. This pie had 4 main components: crust, peanut butter crumbles, vanilla pudding, and whipped cream-all made from scratch! I devoted an entire, internet-less (back when my computer was out of commission) day to putting this pie together. 

End result: a good pie. A little short on peanut butter-y taste, the vanilla pudding took over a bit (I've changed some of the amounts in the following recipe in an attempt to remedy this, but I'm also thinking it'd be better if you mixed some pb into the pudding), but it actually really grew on me. I'm a big fan. It's got a great, old-fashioned, down home taste and texture, and is delicious whilst chilled. Michael only kind of liked it. He's quite loyal to a particular peanut butter pie. I must admit, that is still my favorite, also. This is just different-still very good, but different. I definitely think it's worth trying, and I think I'll make it again someday, even if I'm the only one who eats it ;).


Yoder's Peanut Butter Pie

Adapted from Foodista

Yoder's Peanut Butter Pie
Ingredients:
  • 1, blind baked, 9-10" pie crust
  • 2 cups whipped topping (your favorite-preferably homemade-kind)
Pudding Filling
  • 1 cup cold milk, and 3 cups milk 
  • 1/2 cup cornstarch
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 3 tbsp. butter
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
PB Crumbles
  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 1/4 cup crunchy peanut butter (may need to add more)
  • A little water, as needed
Preparation:
Yoder's Peanut Butter Pie
Pudding Filling
  • Mix 1 cup cold milk, cornstarch, salt, egg yolks, and vanilla extract with a whisk until smooth.
  • In a saucepan, heat 3 cups milk, the butter, and sugar on medium heat until scalding (just before boil), stirring constantly.
  • Once scalding, add the cornstarch mixture--whisking CONSTANTLY! Cook until thickened (still whisking). Remove from heat before it begins to boil.
  • Chill in refrigerator until fully cooled.
PB Crumbles
  • Using a mixer, beat peanut butter and powdered sugar until small crumbles appear. If too dry, sprinke some water in as needed (and possibly add more peanut butter) until they form distinct "crumbles".
Assembly
  • Place 1/2 the peanut butter crumbles in the baked pie shell.
  • Spoon chilled pudding on top of the crumbles (you may have too much pudding, use your judgement and put in as much filling as you think it should have).
  • Place most of remaining crumbles on top of the pudding, reserving a little to sprinkle on the very top.
  • Top with whipped cream. Sprinkle the remaining crumbles on the very top.
  • Store in the refrigerator.
Yoder's Peanut Butter Pie
Those Amish know what's up when it comes to food, I'll tell you what.
And I grew up near Ohio's Amish Country, so I oughta know.
Print Friendly and PDF
I love it when you try & want to share recipes you found here! Please just rewrite in your own words, use your own photos, & always link back to me! Thanks!

About Me

Search

Featured Post

Paleo Chocolate Chunk Blondies

Archives

Grab a Button!



Designed By:

Designed by MunchkinLand Designs --With elements by Hey Hey Designs
Kayle Blogna. Powered by Blogger.
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2013 • All Rights Reserved