Sunday, April 14, 2013

Big Cocoa Brownies (aka Iocane-Dusted Brownies of Unusual Size) #SundaySupper Movie Inspired Recipes, "The Princess Bride"

Big Cocoa Brownies (aka Iocane-Dusted Brownies of Unusual Size for "The Princess Bride")

...chocolate makes it go down easier.

Who am I? Why am I quoting The Princess Bride?
Let me 'splain.
No, there is too much. Let me sum up:

The Princess Bride is my absolute FAVORITE movie-OF ALL TIME. (If you are not familiar with it, you're going to be quite confused, as I will be quoting in frequently. My apologies.) I stumbled upon it one day when I was 14, was intrigued by the title, watched it-and I.WAS.HOOKED! I literally watched it approx. 5 times a day for 2 weeks (then I had to return it to the library...but my mom bought it for me shortly after because she was tired of my whining). And, I was delighted to find out once we started dating, it is Michael's favorite movie too!  He (lucky duck) actually was raised with this movie, it's one of his family's favorites, as well. We own two copies-mine is the "Buttercup Edition" and his is the "20th Anniversary edition". PLUS-our wedding song (you know...for our first dance) is going to be "Storybook Love", which is the movie's theme (and also our ring-tones for each other).

The Princess Bride was severely underrated when it came out-but, obviously, has a HUGE cult following. It has everything! "Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles..."
Romance: "This is true love-you think this happens every day?"
Drama: "My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die."
Comedy: "Stop that rhyming now, I mean it!" "Anybody want a peanut?"

Big Cocoa Brownies (aka Iocane-Dusted Brownies of Unusual Size for "The Princess Bride")

I've actually posted these before, but when I saw this week's #SundaySupper was movie inspired recipes, I had to revisit! The amazing: Iocane-Dusted Brownies of Unusual Size.

"What you do not smell is called Iocane powder. It is odorless, tasteless,dissolves instantly in liquid..." 

These have "Iocane powder" dusted on them--AKA, powdered sugar. That's not enough of a theme though! What else can we do with brownies to bring in The Princess Bride?

"..what about the R.O.U.S.'s?"
"Rodents of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist."

Of course! BROWNIES of Unusual Size...because...you know...no one likes rats, but EVERYONE likes brownies! So that is what I did-and let me tell you, these were GREAT! Not only are the HUGE and pretty because of that "Iocane" dusting, but also they are so fudgey and dense and delicious. And, an added bonus, if you are not a "princess bride" and short on funds, this recipe is great because the only chocolate it uses is cocoa powder-none of that super expensive fancy chocolate. I advise that you immediately make these, grab your significant other, your best friend, or just your wonderful self, sit down and watch The Princess Bride while eating these huge, decadent, Iocane dusted, Brownies of Unusual Size.

Iocane-Dusted Brownies of Unusual Size


Big Cocoa Brownies (aka Iocane-Dusted Brownies of Unusual Size for "The Princess Bride")

Ingredients:
  • 10 tbsp. unsalted butter
  • 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs, cold
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Preparation:
  • Position rack in lower third of the oven.
  • Preheat oven to 325 degrees (F).
  • Line bottom and sides of an 8 x 8 square baking pan with parchment paper or foil-with some overhang on opposite sides (for lifting later). Lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray
  • Combine butter, sugar, cocoa, and salt in a medium, heatproof, bowl. Microwave 1 minute and 30 seconds on high power.
  • Remove and stir until smooth. Let cool to warm.
  • Stir in vanilla with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
  • Add eggs, one at a time, stirring vigorously after each egg.
  • Add flour and stir until you can't see it-then mix vigorously 40 strokes. (Sorry about the redundancy by saying vigorously twice...no other word seemed to fit.)
  • Spread evenly in the lined pan.
  • Bake 25-30 minutes (until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out slightly moist).
  • Cool completely on a rack. 
  • Lift end and transfer brownies to a cutting surface. Cut into as many squares as you desire--in this case, UNUSUALLY LARGE SIZED squares.
  • Dust with powdered sugar....oops....I mean...Iocane powder *wink* But really....don't. It "is among the most deadly poisons known to man." So unless you've spent years building up an immunity, like Westley, stick with the powdered sugar. I won't tell. 
Miracle Michael: Bye Bye! Have fun making these brownies!
Kayle:...Think they'll be able to make them?
Miracle Michael: It would take a miracle.
BYE BYE!

But seriously, they're simple, and I hope you make these as often “As you wish”.

Coming soon to theatres...
(AKA go visit the rest of the #SundaySupper Movie Inspired Recipes!)

Toast (bready things)
No Reservations (soups and salads)
Today's Special (fish, chicken, beef, and pork)
Forks Over Knives (veggie-heavy dishes and sides)
Udon (pasta and noodles)
Just Desserts (sweet treats)
Bottle Shock (beverages)
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday, April 14th to talk all about movies and food! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.
Print Friendly and PDF
I love it when you try & want to share recipes you found here! Please just rewrite in your own words, use your own photos, & always link back to me! Thanks!

About Me

Search

Featured Post

Paleo Chocolate Chunk Blondies

Archives

Grab a Button!



Designed By:

Designed by MunchkinLand Designs --With elements by Hey Hey Designs
Kayle Blogna. Powered by Blogger.
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2013 • All Rights Reserved